Tuesday 4 December 2012

Mr. T's 24,000 mile service ............... DONE!


Well here we go again, at least I managed to get 5 months riding in this time before taking Mr T back to  Keith Dixon Motorcycles for his 24,000 mile service.


As per usual here are the individual service, parts and running costs broken down so if you're thinking of buying a Yamaha Super Tenere XT1200Z. It will give you an idea of the financial implications of ownership. This has no bearing on Yamaha or Keith Dixon Motorcycles in any way and is only intended as a guide to people considering buying this amazing motorbike. Please also bear in mind the mileage I cover over short periods of time, as not everyone will cover this sort of mileage so quickly!


6,000 Mile Service – November 2011


1. Air Filter........................................ £30.70

2. Oil Filter ........................................ £11.70

3. Engine Oil ...................................... £44.58

4. Shaft Oil ........................................ £11.50

5. Sump Washer ................................ £2.26

6. Labour @ 2.5 Hours...................... £120

Grand Total ...................................... £220.74


Running costs at 6,000 miles (excluding Petrol, Tax & Insurance costs) = £0.03 per mile

Tyres fitted at 7,500 miles at a cost of £241 bringing running cost up to = £0.06 per mile



12,000 Mile Service – March 2012

1. Air Filter........................................ £30.70

2. Oil Filter ........................................ £11.69

3. Engine Oil ...................................... £43.49

4. Shaft Oil ........................................ £11.50

5. 3 x Washers .. ................................ £3.39

6. Plugs .............................................. £28.76

7. Labour @ 4Hours........................... £120

Grand Total ......................................... £321.53


Running costs at 12,965 miles (excluding Petrol, Tax & Insurance costs) = £0.06 per mile



18,000 Mile Service – June 2012


1. Air Filter........................................ £30.70

2. Oil Filter ........................................ £11.69

3. Engine Oil ...................................... £43.49

4. Shaft Oil ........................................ £11.50

5. 3 x Washers .. ................................ £3.39

6. 4 x Spark Plugs ............................. £28.76

7. Oil Filter .........................................£11.69

8. Labour @ 4Hours........................... £120


Grand Total ......................................... £250.39


Running costs at 17,823 miles (excluding Petrol, Tax & Insurance costs) = £0.05 per mile

Tyres fitted at 17,500 miles at a cost of £235 bringing running cost up to = £0.07 per mile



24,000 Mile Service – November 2012 


1. Air Filter........................................ £28.99

2. Oil Filter ........................................ £11.69

3. Engine Oil ..................................... £43.49

4. Shaft Oil ........................................ £11.50

5. 3 x Oil Drain Seals......................... £5.70

6. Spark Plugs ................................... £29.99

7. Oil Filter .........................................£11.69

8. Labour @ 6 Hours........................... £330


Grand Total ......................................... £461.29


Running costs at 25,500 miles (excluding Petrol, Tax & Insurance costs) = £0.07 per mile



Please note I have not included any "Farkling" costs incurred within the running costs total.  This is simply because it was my choice to "Farkle" Mr T rather than it being a part of the servicing scheduled.


Keith, Diane and their team have done me proud yet again. The service they provide is exemplary. No wonder Keith & Diane received the highest award of service excellence by Yamaha Head Office,  being flown to Japan no less to collect the award in person.


I took Mr T in for the service on Tuesday the 6th November but as I was heading out to Northern Ireland on my Gold Post BoxChallenge Ride later that night so Keith organised for the lads in the garage to change both the shaft oil, engine oil and oil filter plus give Mr T a once over. We then organised for me to return on Friday for the rest of the in depth 24,000 mile service.



I was loaned a Yamaha 660 Tenere for the ride home and had an interesting ride back over to Rochdale. The seat is amazing but dropping down from the power house of the Super Tenere XT1200Z  to a mere 660 was interesting to say the least. I have never changed gear so many times on the ride to and from home in my life. The ride comfort is good, the positioning all very familiar but I could just not get used to not being able to wind on the power from low revs without having to drop down as many as three gears at a time.




Yamaha XTZ660 Tenere




Very comfortable but a little too
under-powered for my liking



Still it was good fun and gave me the opportunity to cross another prospective bike of my wish list.


Friday 9th November and it was back to Keith’s. This time picking up the Yamaha XJ600 Diversion. Now as I type this a smile is starting to cross my face as the Diversion is an absolute dream to ride.



Yamaha XJ600 Diversion F






A cracking little bike with loads of personality
I'm so very tempted ..... stop it Raymondo!


Initially I found it “miniscule” in size compared to Mr T’s mass. It is light, easy to handle, great riding position with all the buttons just where you need them to be.



Power delivery is so smooth and steady. I almost felt like I was on a “Twist and Go” scooter. Straight through the box up into 6th gear and it will cruise around town at 30, mind you do have to drop into 4th to pull up extra steep hills, then just wind it on all the way to 70 mph along dual carriageways. Yes it will go a damn sight faster than that I’m sure just not with me on board in the rain and at 2 degree C, common sense prevails always.


I always put £10 worth of fuel in any bike Keith loans to me knowing it will get me home and back with a little to spare. Well after all fairs, fair in my books.


I could go on about the focused riding position being nicely tucked up but not as severe as the R6, therefore being more comfortable for longer periods of time. The smooth gear change and the almost silent exhaust note but my advice to anyone looking for a daily commute that doesn’t draw too much attention to itself is get over to your local Yamaha Dealership and give the “inappropriately” names Diversion 600 a try (this bike need another name as Diversion is just wrong, so very wrong). I guarantee you will not be disappointed, unless you’re after a “Pocket Rocket” then skip this and go straight to the R6 or R, if you have deep pockets.


Collecting Mr T at 4.30pm I started him up and was shocked to hear one hell of a racket coming from the motor. I’m pleased to say it only lasted a few minutes but long enough to warrant a call to Keith later in the week when the noise persisted.


Out of the blue I received a call from Keith which I missed on Tuesday as I was down at the NEC Motorcycle Live Show with Lefty. I called back later in the week and was asked if I could bring Mr T back in on Monday (yesterday) to have a new Cam Chain Tensioner fitted (under warranty).


Surprised and somewhat concerned I took Mr T in yesterday to have the new part fitted. Hoping it would only take an hour or so I was settling in with a brew when the bad news came it was going to take a couple of hours at least.


Still it meant I got to have another ride on the XJ600 Diversion which sort of made up for it. I organised to return today (Tuesday) as I had Spanish homework to complete and my course to attend. As it happened Jeannie was “Rear-ended” in the VW with Lilie Rose & Jo, Lilie Rose’s carer in the back,  by a Mini travelling far too fast and not paying attention. The rear of our VW is totalled and will need replacing. So not our best evening, all in all.




No prizes for guessing who liked this one......


Picking Mr T up this morning I spent half an hour in shear purgatory with chilblains in my hands. It was agony and the first time it has happened since I was in my 20’s.  Still whilst I sorted myself out I spotted two very nice Yamaha Original Polo Shirts on the sales rail which just happen to fit perfectly. You see, everything bar everything happens for a reason. If I’d not been in agony I would have just started the now “perfectly silent” Mr T up and rode home missing out on a couple of bargains.


As it happens a couple of other items of interest popped into my vision and well let’s just say for now ....……. Watch this space!

No comments:

Post a Comment