Tuesday 20 March 2012

Mr. T's 12,000 mile service ............... DONE!

Well after what feels like a very short 4 months I was back at Keith Dixon Motorcycles with Mr. T yesterday for his 12,000 mile service.

Here are the individual service, parts and running costs broken down so if you're thinking of buying a Yamaha Super Tenere XT1200Z it will give you an idea of the financial implications of ownership. This has no bearing on Yamaha or Keith Dixon Motorcycles in any way and is only intended as a guide to people considering ownership of this amazing motorbike. Please also bear in mind the mileage I cover over short periods of time, not everyone will cover this sort of mileage so quickly!

6,000 Mile Service

1.      Air Filter........................................   £30.70

2.      Oil Filter ........................................  £11.70

3.      Engine Oil ...................................... £44.58

4.      Shaft Oil ........................................  £11.50

5.      Sump Washer ................................ £2.26

6.      Labour @ 2.5 Hours......................  £120

        Grand Total  ......................................  £220.74

Running costs at 6,000 miles (excluding Petrol, Tax & Insurance costs) = £0.03 per mile

Tyres fitted at 7,500 miles at a cost of £241 bringing running cost up to = £0.06 per mile


12,000 Mile Service

1.      Air Filter........................................   £30.70

2.      Oil Filter ........................................  £11.69

3.      Engine Oil ...................................... £43.49

4.      Shaft Oil ........................................  £11.50

5.      3 x Washers .. ................................ £3.39

6.      Plugs .............................................. £28.76

7.      Labour @ 4Hours........................... £120

       Grand Total ......................................... £321.53

Running costs at 12,965 miles (excluding Petrol, Tax & Insurance costs) = £0.06 per mile

Please note I have not included any "Farkling" costs in the running costs for the simple reason I  have done them through choice not necessity.

Having sat  down to write up this Blog I realised there was an increase of an hour and half in labour cost over the 6,000 mile service. Not being a mechanic and knowing I had left the bash plate on. Plus the throttle was sticking from using too much glue when I stuck the throttle heated grip back on. So rather than guess, it was a quick call to Ian to see if there was anything else amiss which was not mentioned when I picked the bike up. I really do need to get a K&N Air Filter fitted too as the recurring £30.70 for an air filter is going to start to get very expensive over time.

True to his word Ian called me straight back to run through the service details. The added cost was explained as half an hour  to the removing and re-fitting the AltriderSkid Plate, stripping and re-greasing the break callipers plus removing the excess glue from my repair job on the throttle grip. So all in all a great service as always. Many thanks to you and your team Keith for the great personal service you always provide.  Oh and can I pass on a very a special mention to Mrs Dixon who made me a lovely  mug coffee when she noticed how white my fingers had gone on the ride back to the shop, thank you very much indeed it was just what I needed. Why are all dealerships not like yours Keith?

The throttle is now working spot on and lesson learnt Raymondo , "take the bloody bash plate off yourself before you take Mr. T in for his service, you idle git you". I did think about it but "I was running late guv, honest"!

Still I did get a nice 600 Diversion to use for the day, well to ride home and back actually which cost me £10 in fuel and was back on reserve some 65 miles later so it's a thirsty little beast in my eyes, or is it just me!




A beautiful brand new 12 plate
Diversion 600


The riding position on the 600 is tucked up and putting my feet on the ground made me feel like I was on a small push bike, how ridding a Big Beast distorts all concept of size. Still the Diversion is nippy, agile and a dream to ride. I would recommend it to any learner who has just passed their test as the all round view and riding position, except the tucked legs that is, is really good. I took it well steady as the tyres were new but Keith had warned me off about them before I set off. Can't wait to get on the Fazer8 next service, hint, hint, ...................... Keith!



So what's next? Well it is the IBA National Meeting on Saturday the 31st March being held at the Colorado Way at Castleford  followed on Sunday the 1st April by the Wirral Egg Run.

I'm also busy compiling the RBLR1000 entrants listing including their chosen routes so we can produce certificates to be presented to participants straight after the event. This event takes place 22nd - 24th of June and is a great way to join the IBA with lots of support and guidance plus the camaraderie of entering an organised event. There are two routes of 1000 miles which can be ridden clockwise or counter clockwise with set petrol stations on route to collect receipts from. If completed in less then 24 hours participants will automatically become members of the Iron Butt Association UK.

Finally the great XT1200Z Tank Conversion Project continues in the USA. Jaxon has been an absolute star in producing what I feel is a work of art. The tank has been primed and the colour laboriously matched to perfection and should be being sprayed as I write this blog. More to follow on the Project once I am in possession of the tank.


Here's a sneak preview in "primed mode"
More to follow in due course.........
Watch this space

2 comments:

  1. Ray,
    The service manual says only change the air filter at 24k miles.
    Are you a bit over sensitive about it or have I missed something.
    Ray

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ray,
      I did question them about the air filter and their response was "they would not change it if it did not need one".
      To answer your question truthfully, no I'm not sensitive about it but I have told Keith's Lads that next time Mr. T is in I want a K&N Fitting (Which I will no doubt supply myself once I've checked the prices on line).
      A good question and thank you for asking.
      Kind regards
      Ray

      Delete